Date:      Sun, 9 Jan 2000 17:43:24 +0100 (CET)
From:      Marc van Woerkom <van.woerkom@netcologne.de>
To:        nsouch@free.fr
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org, freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org, se@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Win32 Netscape and Real Audio Player run under Wine on -CURRENT

> 	1) I thought the wine project has been died for a long time
> 	2) I never thought this would ever succeed

You, like me, probably had the impression of wine being some interesting
but not too useful bit of software.

Now it turns out that it is able to run some nontrivial applications.
(At least real audio support is some recurring PITA for FreeBSD users,
 we have no native version of their latests formats and need to use
 the linux alpha version, or can now try the win32 one)

Beats me why the wine developers don't promote their project more.

Possibly the Linux crowd is more informed than the BSD one about
the usefulness of wine.

I found some links in the meantime

    http://www.linuxgames.com/wine

it looks that the most important Microsoft applications (Minesweeper,
Solitaire, Tetris and Wordpad) run perfect. :)

What to do now? The success story of the Linux emulator shows that it
is a good idea to roll ports, like

    wine-netscape
    wine-realaudio
    wine-wordviewer
    wine-excelviewer

which would make it easy for people to use the software.

And of course to send patches back to the wine people (e.g. I spotted a
small error in the FreeBSD CD DA access)

> What would make really sense in choosing FreeBSD versus other OSes?

I more and more believe that choice of OS is depending on social
and cultural issues rather then on technical ones, because they
will become all pretty good.

It is similiar to the different European nations. All have fairly
high level, but at the same time everyone has its characteristic
things it does not want to give up. Variety is good.
If you want to drive fast, go to Germany, if you like good food
go to France or Italy (but avoid England) ..

Regards,
Marc