Date:      Thu, 21 May 1998 13:31:50 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Marc.Giannoni@comsat.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel Development Documentation

On Wed, 20 May 1998 at 10:36:51 -0400, Marc.Giannoni@comsat.com wrote:
>      Hi:
>
>      Are there documents or guides to the kernel structures and
>      'interfaces'?  I'm trying to update the 'netccitt' sources and I
>      should study the kernel's interface as it's implemented for FreeBSD.
>
>      I hope this makes sense.  I saw some details about this at some point,
>      but I forgot exatly where it was.

Kernel documentatation as there is is spread over a number of places:

-  There's a section of the online handbook on some aspects of kernel
   hacking.

-  "The Design and Implementation of the 4.4BSD Operating System", by
   McKusick and Co., is quite relevant (but the VM system is
   completely different in FreeBSD).

-  Section 9 of the man pages describes some functions, macros and
   structures.

-  There are some relevant tutorials, including a Device Driver
   Writer's Guid in the list at http://www.freebsd.org/docs.html

Probably all of this won't be enough.  Sign up for FreeBSD-hackers and
ask any questions you still have there.

Greg