Date:      Fri, 18 Aug 2000 09:56:11 +1000 (EST)
From:      ggm@dstc.edu.au
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   how to kill echo on PC serial ports for getty?

I rescued an ADM-5 terminal and hooked it up to the PC serial port
with a null modem. Simple edits to /etc/ttys gets a getty running on
/dev/cuaa1 but not on /dev/ttyd1, but only with duplicate character
echo.

If you use /etc/gettytab to create a :ec: enabled entry, the login program
does stop double echoing, but the password is locally echoed.

I suspect this is really a dipswitch issue on the adm5. before I dive
into the living hell of the 65,536 variant settings of the dipswitches
am I missing something here?

Why did cuaa1 work but ttyd1 fail?

cheers
	-George