Date:      Tue, 6 Jun 2000 22:38:37 +1200 (NZST)
From:      Andrew McNaughton <andrew@scoop.co.nz>
To:        Matt Heckaman <matt@ARPA.MAIL.NET>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.ca>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSDDEATH.c.txt (mmap dirty page no check bug)

On Fri, 2 Jun 2000, Matt Heckaman wrote:

> On Fri, 2 Jun 2000, Brett Glass wrote:
> [...]
> : An interesting related point: By default, the current sysinstall doesn't
> : create a separate /tmp. It leaves /tmp as a directory in the rather small
> : root partition. An action as simple as downloading a large file via Lynx
> : (which downloads to /tmp and then moves files to a destination) is
> : enough to overflow the root partition.
>
> I would like to see a system where it choose defaults based on two
> classes, we'll call them "workstation" and "server" for the purpose of
> this discussion. The defaults now are fairly decent for a workstation with
> the addition of /tmp mentioned herein.
>
> However, I've see alot of people new to FreeBSD get bit HARD by those
> defaults especially in any system that delivers e-mail to /var/mail. The
> default for /var is horribly low, I never did understand that myself. It
> would be nice to say "are you are server or workstation" and then spit out
> some better default variables based on the answer.

Perhaps more to the point, there should be a little more information
available at the time about what the implications of the options are.

A 'server' option built for a machine where lots of users have shell
accounts and mail (big /var and /tmp) is going to be quite inappropriate
for a typical dedicated webserver.

Absence of /tmp is a pretty major oversight for any machine.  Putting it
on the root partition is doubly so.  If there's no sepsrate partition it
should at least be an alias to /var/tmp or something of the sort.

--
Andrew
McNaughton andrew@squiz.co.nz