Date:      Mon, 28 Feb 2000 08:26:58 +0100
From:      Udo Erdelhoff <ue@nathan.ruhr.de>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: des/ssl manpages lost

On Sun, Feb 27, 2000 at 02:05:51PM -0800, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> > [des manpages lost]
> We probably should revive these. OpenSSL 0.9.5 has a complete set of
> manpages, and I hope to import it shortly after the release, but for
> 4.0-REL we should keep these.
What about importing the OpenSSL 0.9.5 manpages instead? If you revive the
old des manpages for 4.0-REL and import OpenSSL 0.9.5 after 4.0-REL but
before the creation of the 4.x-stable branch, we'll end up with two sets
of des-related manpages in /usr/share/man/something. That's a landmine.

> The ssl(8) references should change to openssl(8) since that's what we call
> it, except neither of us (OpenBSD or FreeBSD) have a manpage for it :-)
It's only one of the 178 unresolved references found by my (very crude)
crossreference script. Most of them are references to manpages found
under /usr/ports or references to external documents (like POSIX 1003b).
But we still have references to cdplay (RIP with 3.0), xntpd (RIP with
4.0), bad144 (dito), ...

Current totals: 312 warnings about references in 263 manpages (including
"legal" missing references). I'll create PRs and patches to give Nik and the
doc team a chance to fix at least some of them before 4.0-REL.

> Excellent - it's nice to hear when things go well.
Two more datapoints:
openssh-client (FreeBSD) -> ssh1/Solaris works (as expected)
openssh-client (FreeBSD) -> ssh2/Solaris does not work (no surprise)

/s/Udo
--
Now they show you how detergents take out bloodstains; a pretty violent
image there. I think if you've got a T-shirt with a bloodstain all over it,