Date:      Sat, 11 Dec 1999 14:25:54 -0600
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
Cc:        Dieter Rothacker <didi@Xterminator.STUDFB.UniBw-Muenchen.de>, Michael Kennett <mike@laurasia.com.au>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Wiring drive IDs (was: HEADSUP: wd driver will be retired!)

On Saturday, 11 December 1999 at 18:28:42 +0800, Peter Wemm wrote:
> Dieter Rothacker wrote:
>> On Sat, 11 Dec 1999 14:21:25 +0800 (WST), Michael Kennett wrote:
>>
>>> Note that wd1 is not present.  This caused a mild hickup when rebooting the
>>> new kernel, since the new ata controller assigned the labels ad0 and ad1 to
>>> the drives.  It was not possible to boot into multiuser mode without changin
>>> the /etc/fstab file to rename the /dev/wd2* entries to /dev/ad1*. That was
>>> easy to fix, however for a newbie it might cause problems.  I mention it now
>     ,
>>> since the upgrade from 3.x might need special handling of this case (?).
>>
>> You should use the kernel option
>> "options	ATA_STATIC_ID"
>> for such cases. At least it works for me :-)
>
> I think this should only apply to the /dev/wd* compatability devices.  ie:
> use the correct numbering for new installs onto ad*, but still support the old
> spread-out naming for wd*.  This used to be more important as it required
> fiddling with $root_disk_unit, but the new mountroot code has relieved the
> pressure there.

We've been through this before (and no, it has nothing to do with
Danish axes :-)

As long as we refer to them in /etc/fstab, we should have consistent
ways of referring to specific drives.  I think the *correct* way to
refer to drives is by an ID field on the drive itself, the way Vinum
does it.  That way you could swap drives around anyway you want and
the system can handle, and you would still be able to locate your
partitions.  But in the meantime, it's nice to know that you can add a
primary slave without your fstab falling apart.

Greg