Date:      Mon, 22 Oct 2001 01:00:12 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <charon@labs.gr>
To:        Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Getting Involved

Hello Nik,

Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> well, as I'm not the best coder out there, I have been looking for another
> way to get involved in the FreeBSD Project. I have always enjoyed writing,
> and I think that after a few years of FreeBSD experience, I should be well
> prepared to write something about it.

Be our heartily welcome guest ;-)

> Wanting to get involed is one thing, while actually getting involed is
> another! I don't have much of a clue about what I could do, and that's why
> I'm writing this message.

There is a very nice book online at http://www.FreeBSD.org/ called the
``FreeBSD Documentation Project Primer for New Contributors''.  You
should at least read this book, as it describes what documentation is
available so far, what tools are used, and other things that you will
certainly find useful.  Find this book online at:

    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/fdp-primer/

> Probably there is some piece of documentation badly in need of
> maintainance, or probably there's something that needs to be
> written.

Well, the list of things that the doc team is interester in is
available at <http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/current.html>; but this
list is by it's very nature incomplete, and nobody will frown upon
contributions that are outside this list, I think.

> If so, I'd be glad to hear some suggestions on what I could do.
> Besides writing, I could also translate documents from English to
> German, if needed.

I kind of think that the people involved in the German translation of
the docs will be delighted to see that you can help with their work.
See <http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/translations.html#german>; for
details about this.

> I'd be glad about any suggestions on what I could do. I'm willing to
> contribute to the FreeBSD Documentation Project, and any help for getting
> me started is welcome!

Although it is not mandatory, it would be very nice if you knew to
work with CVS, and end contributions in patches that can be directly
applied to the tree.  That will be easier when you keep a local mirror
of the CVS tree and diff against it.

-giorgos