Date:      Tue, 18 Jul 95 15:41:38 EAT
From:      Yen-Wei Liu <ywliu@lin.wsl.sinica.edu.tw>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fail to mount root after recompiling kernel

> Yen-Wei Liu stands accused of saying:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> >  I am using FreeBSD 2.05R. This happens to me twice, on different machines
> > with different hardware configuration :
>
> Ok, so how about telling us about the hardware configurations, and the
> kernel config files you used for each?
>
> So far we have "my car made a funny noise and stopped", which doesn't
> actually help solve the problem.
>
> >  I hope somebody can help me.
>
> You can.

I didn't give too many details because I just wanted to know if there
is anyone having similar experience before I dumped everyone with
a lot of mumurs. Anyway, here it is :

Machine One  : at my home - A Cyrix 486DX66 with 16MB RAM, used to run
FreeBSD 2.0R before yesterday I installed 2.05R. 2 IDE drives - one 300MB
the other is 520MB. FreeBSD sits on the slave drive, 520MB. 2S1P card, and
an Ultrasound clone with Panasonic CR-562J CD-ROM drive, which didn't work
with 2.05R.

I plugged an AHA-1542C, with a NEC 2x CD-ROM drive to install from CD-ROM.
After finishing installation, I replaced matcd drivers with current sources
to make my interface work. Recompiling and rebooting, with AHA card unplugged.
The new kernel told me : failed to mount swap (wd1s2??), and left a shell for
me to mount by hands. Ok. I guess it's my fault with the new kernel.
I rebooted again with the original kernel : no luck. The same result.
I just tried every device name, after failing to make FreeBSD recognize
my DOS partition and SCSI cd-rom drive(though AHA was re-plugged in).
(FreeBSD seemed to tell me cd0a no such a file or something like that.)
I ran MAKEDEV all to recreate them all and tried every device name again,
finally worked. The device name now are not wd1s1, but the old 2.0 name
wd1b or wd1c.

However, today, at my office, I re-compiled another kernel on the machine,
which used to run 2.0R before switched to 2.05R : Intel 486DX33 with 16MB
RAM, 1 IDE hard drive, 1 AHA1542B card, 1 650MB SCSI hard drive, 2x SCSI NEC
CD-ROM, and a Fujitsu magnetic optical drive (which I stll couldn't make work
under FreeBSD), 2S1P card. FreeBSD sits on the SCSI drive.

I recompiled one new kernel for the hope of being able to use Fujitsu MO,
finished it, moved it to /kernel.1, rebooting with kernel.1. This time it
was worse, FreeBSD failed to mount root sd1a. Ok. I tried to reboot with
the original kernel if this was my fault with the options I gave to the
new kernel. It still didn't find the root device, even with the original
kernel - panic, sync, rebooting.

I just wonder why both the new and the original kernels didn't recognize
the device names any more. And these two machines used to run FreeBSD
2.0R well.

I hope the information is sufficient. I am more than happy to provide more.

--
Yen-Wei Liu