Date:      Mon, 17 Sep 2012 14:28:42 -0400
From:      Andrew Young <ayoung@mosaicarchive.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Providing a default graphical environment on FreeBSD

I spent years using Linux before I truly appreciated the key difference betw=
een a "desktop environment" and a "graphical environment". Probably because e=
veryone had to have a desktop environment.=20

I define graphical environment as simply X11 and a window manager. That's al=
l you need to run Firefox, Gimp, etc. Because x11 is the underlying base, an=
y toolkit (gtk, qt, whatever) will work just fine. A developer can pick the t=
oolkit they're most comfortable with and it will work on anyone's system.=20=

In contrast, a "desktop environment" builds an entirely separate layer on to=
p primarily to allow the desktop applications to communicate with one anothe=
r. Things like network monitoring and message notifications are usually incl=
uded. This is also where developers suddenly need to choose. Do you write co=
de for KDE, Gnome, or another? Users will only run one desktop environment s=
o choosing one will alienate the others.=20

IMHO, a graphical environment is useful for running applications like Firefo=
x and Gimp. I never run either of these on a server so I would never want to=
 install even a graphical environment on my servers.=20

I have no use at all for desktop environments. They're often bloated, buggy,=
 and provide no real value to me. I would much rather install x11 and dwm.=20=

> this: a default, officially supported modern desktop environment is
> essential to FreeBSD.

I completely disagree. X11 + WM is more than adequate for my needs. And I do=
n't need either of these on the servers whee I rely on FreeBSD.=20

Andy