Date:      Wed, 18 Jul 2001 10:46:42 -0700
From:      Sean Peck <seanp@loudcloud.com>
To:        Justin C Sherrill <justin@shiningsilence.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, "Andrew C. Hornback" <achornback@worldnet.att.net>, gavinkenny@yahoo.co.uk
Subject:   Re: Recommend a NIC

I have fried enough RL cards to have to say there is a Huge difference between
these cards... for the average user, a $9 or $15 card may do fine, but RealTek's
are not in the same class as 3Com server cards... they are more expensive no doubt,
but it is not merely a matter of brand naming.

Justin C Sherrill wrote:

> On Tuesday 17 July 2001 14:16, you wrote:
>
> >       You DIDN'T just say that... DID you?!?
> >
> >       *falls over laughing*
> >
> >       The difference between a 3Com and a RealTek is only the price?  *shakes
> > his head and makes a note not to get a cable modem...*
>
> NICs come into our warehouse in sheets; 3Com cards cost us 3 times as much
> and invariably had some duds on every allotment.  RealTek didn't when we
> ordered from them.  I was using RealTek vs. 3Com because I've seen people
> attach value judgements to those brand names when overall, the brand name
> only made a difference in price.  If you're going to make a recommendation,
> it'd be nice to have some evidence other than anecdotal.
>
> My personal best experience with network cards in FreeBSD came from Intel
> EtherExpress chipsets in two different machines.  That's not a lot to judge
> from, of course.  I've also had good luck with 3Com 9xx series cards, which
> use a different driver (xl instead of ep) from the troublesome ones Gavin
> mentioned.   I unfortunately haven't experienced and don't know of a fix for
> the ep flakiness...  That might be a question for the freebsd-hardware list.
>
> Justin

Garbage Collection... the bell bottoms of programming..