Date:      Fri, 3 Dec 1999 11:20:29 -0500
From:      Chen Xu <xuc@saturn.med.nyu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   VEEEEEEEERY SLOW!!!!

Hi all,

I am experiencing a situation: some applications coming up VEEEEERY slow
in my FreeBSD3.2. Applications like Xemacs and pine, after I hit 'return',
I have to wait about 5 minutes before it comes up. That's not normal, I
believe. But most of the other applications like 'emacs' 'netscape' etc.
are running as normal.

I check it with 'top', I saw state as 'poll'. But POLL so slow???

The things changed to my system was that I accidently messed up my
/usr/local/bin and /usr/local/lib when trying to install staroffice5.1 for
linux. I reinstalled most applications and most shared libraries. Before,
my system is running great!

Any ideas? Thanks,

Chen