Date:      Mon, 07 Feb 2000 21:27:06 -0800
From:      Parag Patel <parag@cgt.com>
To:        Rajeev Jayavant <maroons@uswest.net>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org, nicklin@softframe.com, tjm@codegen.com
Subject:   Re: Framemaker mystery - a solution

On Mon, 07 Feb 2000 21:40:09 MST, Rajeev Jayavant wrote:

>I can reliably make Framemaker fail or run by toggling between
>openfiles=unlimited and openfiles=64.  Similar results can be had by
>using "limit descriptors" under [t]csh.  I didn't experiment enough to
>find
>the magic limit for openfiles that triggers the failure.

Wow!  Nice work!

I also don't know why this works, but I did narrow down the limit to
1024.  I used the "ulimit -n" shell builtin to set the descriptor limit
before launching maker.  1025 and greater crashes but 1024 and lower
works fine.  Go figure.

I just edited the Frame .wrapper script (in the bin directory - all
names are symlinks to this script) to set "ulimit -n 1024" at the top
and Frame is working nicely under both 4.0-CURRENT and 3.4-STABLE.  I
didn't need to edit /etc/login.conf at all.

Thanks!

	-- Parag Patel