Date:      Thu, 16 Nov 2000 14:06:34 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        flaw <flaw@vt.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>, George Reid <greid@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD VM

On 16-Nov-00 flaw wrote:
> Thanks for the reply.  When exactly is majflt incremented?
>
> I ran ps -o majflt -p <pid> on the Netscape process and it gave me a count of
> 291 the first time I ran Netscape after reboot.  I killed the process and ran
> Netscape again.  This time it gave me a count of 0.

This is because the pages that Netscape faults in from disk (the text pages)
were still in memory.  When a process exits, its pages don't get dumped from
memory right away.  Instead, after the pages have sat for a while without being
used they are marked as inactive.  When new pages are needed, pages are grabbed
from the inactive pool.  If you are really interested in this stuff, I highly
recommend that you get 'The Design and Implementation of 4.4 BSD' (a book).