Date:      Thu, 13 Mar 2003 15:44:26 +0100
From:      Tim van den Elsen <timmie@timmie.dyndns.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Chrooting to Linux in FreeBSD

Hello,

A friend of mine started his own version of Knoppix. His version is modular based and looks quite nice. For me to help him mount an .iso and chroot to this "pre-made filesystem" (Debian by the way).

For mounting i do the following:

# vnconfig /dev/vn0c ./image.iso
# mount_cd9660 /dev/vn0c ./tmp-iso-dir

Then i copy the ./tmp-iso-dir to a normal dir in order to change files:

# cp -Rp ./tmp-iso-dir/ ./remaster-dir

After that i'm ready to chroot:

# chroot ./remaster-dir /bin/sh
sh-2.05b#

Then the problem starts: every command i run when i'm in chroot will leave a .core file although most of them work. An example:

sletje# chroot tmp-iso /bin/sh
sh-2.05b# ls
MorphixCD  boot   dev  floppy  initrd  mnt      opt   root  strip-apt  usr
bin        cdrom  etc  home    lib     morphix  proc  sbin  tmp        var
sh-2.05b# id
uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root),2(bin),3(sys),4(adm),5(tty),20(dialout),31
sh-2.05b# ls
MorphixCD  boot   dev  floppy  id.core  lib      mnt      opt   root  strip-apt  usr
bin        cdrom  etc  home    initrd   ls.core  morphix  proc  sbin  tmp        var
sh-2.05b# exit
exit
Bad system call (core dumped)
sletje#

As you can see "ls" and "id" work, but both leave a .core file: ls.core and id.core.
When debugging it with gdb all commands seem to exit on a signal 12 Bad system call, like bash did when it exited.

I tried to google but i can't find no hint or solution to the problem. Hopefully somebody here has a clue of what's going on :-)

Thanks in advance!

Tim van den Elsen