Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 2002 12:33:21 -0400
From:      "Jon Larssen" <jonlarssen@hotmail.com>
To:        lists@stevenfettig.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.6-RELEASE & VMware 3.0

Hello,

>I tried what you mentioned in VMWare (my version is 3.1) and still have
>problems with it locking up - not in the same place, but same result (even
>using SCSI).

Well, let me tell what I did. First the virtual disk and the virtual CD-ROM
are attached to the "virtual" SCSI bus. There's no IDE/ATA/ATAPI devices
anywhere on this virtual system.

According to the VMware 3.0 docs, you can't boot from such CD-ROM SCSI
disks--at least in version 3, dunno in version 3.1. That means that I had to
create the old trusty boot disquettes. And _that_ did the trick. No lockups,
no nothing except FreeBSD 4.6 :)

>You mentioned a "recent ATA" problem, but I don't understand
>whether you are relating to FreeBSD 4.6 or VMWare...

I meant the ATA/ATAPI subsystem in FreeBSD. Not even with the workarounds
(hw.ata.... variables) I could boot/install from a IDE CDROM to an IDE hard
drive (all inside VMware, of course). And I have a chicken & egg problem
with Søren's recent commit--I don't have ATA/ATAPI anymore. Thus, for _me_,
that's broken :(

This NOT to say that VMware is flawless, but 4.[2,3,4,5]-RELEASE worked fine
in VMware before :|

Regards,
Jon.