Date:      Thu, 7 Sep 2000 09:33:32 -0700
From:      "Craig Critchley" <cac@fuzzer.com>
To:        "j mckitrick" <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: what language should i learn next ?

my personal suggestion, if you pick only one, would be perl, if only because
its useful for a lot of different interesting things worth learning about...
in addition to "normal programs" its well suited for shell-script-type
programs, you can build gui's with tk, and if you're interested in web stuff
you can use mod_perl with apache.  it's not too hard to plug in a database
like mySQL, either.  there's also a vast library of code and add-on modules
(CPAN) for all kinds of stuff - email, image processing, etc, etc.

it's not too hard to learn enough perl to make a useful program, although
there is a lot there if you want to be an expert...

with java you can do gui stuff and web stuff (servlets), but its not well
suited to "quickies" or "script" type programming.  it's more formal, more
object-oriented and more like C++ in some ways, although if that's what
you're interested in, Java might be a better introduction than Perl.

                ...Craig