Date:      Tue, 11 Mar 2003 15:07:38 +0900 (JST)
From:      Mamoru Iwaki <iwaki@bc.niigata-u.ac.jp>
To:        ken@kdm.org
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cdcontrol via atapicam in 4.8-RC

From: "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 21:35:27 -0700

> I doubt it'll get fixed in 4.8-RELEASE.  4.8 is in code freeze, about to go
> out the door, and I haven't had time to backport things to -stable yet,
> much less get it tested for a bit.

Oh, of course, yes.  I understand that.

> I wish I had gotten it in before the freeze, but that didn't happen. :(

Right.

> My guess is it'll go in after the freeze, and you can pull down a snapshot
> or cvsup new sources to get the fixes.

Thank you, I'll do so.

> As for accessing the devices simultaneously -- yes, you can shoot yourself
> in the foot if you're not careful.  We've had the same issue with the
> normal CAM devices for a while.  You can say access the cd(4) device while
> you're burning a CD via the pass(4) device and mess up the burning process.

Aha, I see.

> The simple answer to that problem is "don't do it". :)

Sure, I don't like shoot myself. ;)

> There's nothing inherently more dangerous about enabling the atapi code and
> atapicam at the same time.  Just don't use the cd(4) and acd(4) devices
> (that share the same underlying physical device) simultaneously and you'll
> be fine.

As you said in the above example of burning CD process, if
simultaneous access possibly causes problems only in the process and
no panic in kernel, the situation may be acceptable.

Many thanks.
---
-----
Mamoru IWAKI   (iwaki@bc.niigata-u.ac.jp)
Graduate School of Science and Technology, Niigata University