Date:      Sun, 22 Jun 1997 16:38:58 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        jdp@polstra.com, jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hmmmm, this is new..

>> They should not be happening.  It looks a lot like your system has
>> lost its /usr/lib/libm.so.3.0.  The Makefile for libtcl adds "-lm"
>
>Hmmm.  There may be something in the release building process which
>actually causes this - let me investigate further, and sorry for
>the false alarm if it turns out to be one.

It's probably a bug for it not to happen for every `make world'.
-nostdlib should be used to prevent old libraries being linked to.
Since libtcl is built before msun and there is no special bootstrapping
for msun, a new version of msun is guaranteed to not exist when libtcl
is linked.

The release attempts to avoid problems like this by building in a
chrooted tree.  Apparently it is not careful enough.  I think linking
to a 2.2 libm.so would work but linking to a 2.1 libm.so would fail.

Bruce