Date:      Wed, 04 Dec 2013 11:43:58 +1100
From:      Mark Andrews <marka@isc.org>
To:        Mark Felder <feld@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BIND chroot environment in 10-RELEASE...gone?

In message <1386093454.2626.55043181.26E90FA5@webmail.messagingengine.com>, Mark Felder writes:
> On Tue, Dec 3, 2013, at 11:40, Michael Sinatra wrote:
> >
> > I am going to put as many of the bits together as I can to see if I can
> > recreate the chroot environment via a port on 10.0-RELEASE.  I'll also
> > submit a PR.  But I agree with the others that this is not a good idea,
> > and if I had known that the port would remove support for chroot, I
> > would have vigorously protested the switch to unbound.
> >

> There was no alternative; we couldn't keep BIND in base. BIND 9 will
> certainly have a EoL before the EoL of FreeBSD 10.x, and we can't use
> BIND 10 because it requires importing Python to base.

We, ISC, don't know when BIND 9 will stop being supported so I fail
to see how FreeBSD can *know* this.  We have committed to 9.9.x
being supported through June 2017.  I suspect the last 9.X will
also be supported at least that long as well.

BIND 10 needs to be a functional replacement of BIND 9 before we
can set a EoL on the BIND 9 project.  BIND 10 isn't at that point
yet.

BIND 8 to BIND 9 took about 5 years after BIND 9 was a functional
replacement for BIND 8 before we could actually declare it dead.

I suspect BIND 9 to BIND 10 will take a similar time scale.

libbind has just moved to NetBSD.

Being a OSS there is nothing to stop someone picking up supporting
BIND 9 when we, ISC, finally stop supporting it.