Date:      Thu, 22 Aug 2002 10:27:08 +1200
From:      "Defryn, Guy" <G.P.Defryn@massey.ac.nz>
To:        "'Roman Neuhauser'" <neuhauser@bellavista.cz>, "Defryn, Guy" <G.P.Defryn@massey.ac.nz>
Cc:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?=27Aur=E9lien_Nephtali=27?= <aurelien.nephtali@wanadoo.fr>, "'questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: upgrading from CD

Thanks,

For some funny reason I get the command not found error when I issue the cvsup command. It is installed from the ports though :-(. Why would this be?

If I upgrade from the cd will everything be done automatically? Or do I need to other things as well? Sorry about all the hassles but I am still a newbie
And there is not much info available on this.

> Do you have to do anything else? I cannot find any other information
> on CD upgrades.

    most probably because just about everybody updates using cvsup (but
    i might be wrong).

> What is the preferred method? CVSUP or doing it from CD?

    no idea, but this is bound to be in the handbook. [later] hm, looks
    like it's not. then i'd say cvsup is the way to go. i've never done
    a binary upgrade, because upgrading from the source (using cvsup) is
    too easy:

    # cd /usr/src
    # rm -fr /usr/obj/*
    # make buildworld
    # make buildkernel KERNCONF=...
    # make installkernel KERNCONF=...
    # make installworld
    # shutdown -r now
    # mergemaster ...

> I assume they do the same thing(CVSUP is probably getting more recent
> files???)

    no. you'll get the sources with cvsup. unless you talk about
    updating /usr/src from the newer release cd's.

--
FreeBSD 4.6-STABLE
8:40AM up 14:32, 7 users, load averages: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00