Date:      Thu, 7 Dec 2000 08:53:36 -0500
From:      Mike Galvez <mrg8n@mail.virginia.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   dc0: failed to force tx and rx to idle state... dang

I hope someone has some wisdom to share (other than not using cheap NICs). I have
a Netgear FA 310tx installed on my 4.0 FreeBSD box. It has worked fine for the
last couple of months but occasionally I get the following message:

dc0: failed to force tx and rx to idle state

This message will appear on the console every now and then but yesterday and
today, I get this message and the NIC just quits, or seems to. ifconfig dc0 shows
it to be up and you can ping it from the console but its not sending packets over
the lan.

Until I can get a better NIC, is there a way to restart/reset this hardware
without having to take the server down?

Thanks

--

Michael Galvez
Computer Systems Sr. Engineer         Office: 804-982-2975