Date:      Wed, 7 Mar 2001 23:40:46 -0600
From:      Eric Brueggmann <brueggma@snoopie.yi.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   DSL provider trouble.

Hello,

	I signed up for DSL service from Telocity, which have
me use DHCP to get my IP, netmask, nameservers, etc..
When ever Telocity has networking trouble (couple times a week)
I usually have to reboot my FBSD box (4.2-STABLE) inorder to
get connectivity from my Win98 boxes again.

I'm using my FBSD box as a gatway/firewall/natd server to provide
service and protection to the Windows box behind it.  I must have
configured something wrong, because you really shouldn't have
to reboot a BSD box that often. (or at all, besides a new kernel)

Also, when telocity comes back on line I'm able to log into the
FBSD box (from console) and search the web, etc..  The only thing
that dosen't work is the Win98 machine.  This can be solved by
rebooting the FBSD box, followed by rebooting the 98 box.  A reboot
of the 98 box alone dosen't solve this problem.

				Thank you for your time,
				Eric Brueggmann

bash-2.04$ uname -a
FreeBSD dsl-64-193-123-121.telocity.com 4.2-STABLE FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE #2: Tue Feb 27 21:11:29 CST 2001     root@dsl-64-193-123-121.telocity.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/BEAST  i386

bash-2.04$ cat /etc/rc.conf
# This file now contains just the overrides from /etc/defaults/rc.conf
# please make all changes to this file.

# Enable network daemons for user convenience.
# -- sysinstall generated deltas -- #
defaultrouter="64.193.123.122"
sendmail_enable="NO"
moused_type="NO"
moused_enable="NO"
gateway_enable="YES"
sshd_enable="YES"
portmap_enable="NO"
# nfs_client_enable="YES"
# nfs_client_flags="-n 4"
inetd_enable="YES"
# inetd_flags="-C 2 -wW -l -R 1024"
network_interfaces="auto"
ifconfig_fxp0="DHCP"
ifconfig_fxp1="172.16.0.1"
hostname="dsl-64-193-123-121.telocity.com"
natd_enable="YES"
natd_interface="fxp0"
natd_flags="-f /etc/natd.conf"
firewall_enable="YES"
firewall_type="/etc/ipfw.rules"
firewall_logging="YES"
ntpdate_enable="YES"
ntpdate_flags="ntp0.mcs.anl.gov"
# xntpd_enable="YES"
xntpd_flags="-c /etc/ntp.conf -p /var/run/ntpd.pid"
tcp_drop_synfin="YES"
tcp_restrict_rst="YES"
icmp_drop_redirect="YES"
# named_enable="YES"