Date:      Wed, 31 Jul 2002 16:41:50 +0200
From:      "Siegbert Baude" <Siegbert.Baude@gmx.de>
To:        "robert Backhaus" <robbakfreebsd@yahoo.co.uk>, "Peter Leftwich" <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
Cc:        "Cherie & John Carri" <cjcarri@earthlink.net>, "FreeBSD LIST" <FreeBSD-Questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Can FreeBSD make a hard drive unbootable by other OS's ?

Hi,

Cite from the FAQ:
> > "The advantages of this mode are: FreeBSD owns the
> > entire disk,
[snip]
> > In ``dangerously dedicated'' mode, the BSD bootstrap
> > starts at sector 0, and
> > this one is the only sector that always translates
> > into the same C/H/S
> > values, regardless of which `translation' your BIOS
> > is using for your disk.
> > Thus, you can also swap disks between
> > systems/controllers that use a
> > different translation scheme, without risking that
> > they won't boot anymore."
End of cite

> > It isn't clear but they seem to be "selling" the
> > reader on this version,
> > even though the misnomer and scary name has the word
> > dangerous in it.
> >
> > Er, that was kind of question one.
>
> Now we've got 40GB disks for the price of a good day's
> work, those tracks are rather unimportant. I still
> would use DD mode if I didn't want to dual boot,
> knowing that any strange formatting can be zapped away
> fairly easily.

This was discussed in-depth on this list (or maybe stable?) when the
option to format a DD-disk was hidden in sysinstall. You still can, but
it is deprecated, because (at least several) modern BIOSes really want
to have a PC-style MBR and refuse to work otherwise. So don't do, except
you really know what you're doing.

> > "To return a ``dangerously dedicated'' disk for
> > normal PC use, there are
> > basically two options. The first is, you write
> > enough NULL bytes over the
> > MBR to make any subsequent installation believe this
> > to be a blank disk.
> > You can do this for example with `dd if=/dev/zero
> > of=/dev/rsd0 count=15`"

Personally I would recommend:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rsd0 bs=512 count=1

as this really erases the complete block. If you don`t have SCSI it's
"ad" instead of "sd", of course.

> > Question 3, is this fdisk /mbr a DOS command or a
> > FreeBSD command, or both?
> >

> Dos command. It's the dos disk partitioner. Great for
> this, but it's too slow for most PC installers, who
> use things from Ontrack that format a disk in about 5
> seconds.

Just fdisk /mbr will be finished in a few seconds. As fdisk is only able
to format FAT its speed is irrelevant for FreBSD or Linux (but you're
right, it's horribly slow on huge disks).

Ciao
Siegbert