Date:      Wed, 16 Jun 2004 14:58:02 +0200
From:      Oliver Eikemeier <eikemeier@fillmore-labs.com>
To:        Pav Lucistnik <pav@oook.cz>
Cc:        gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports/67970: ports textproc/libxml, textproc/libxslt: bogus dependencies on devel/pkgconfig

Pav Lucistnik wrote:

> V st, 16. 06. 2004 v 13:10, Oliver Eikemeier p=ED=9Ae:
>
>>  Similarly security/clamav-devel now run-depends on pkgconfig, =
although
>>  I'm not aware of a single application using pkgconfig to link with
>>  libclamav (www/mod_clamav links with libclamav, but does so without
>>  using pkfconfig, and works fine without it being present at run =
time).

> Because clamav developers added .pc file to 20040606 snapshot of
> development branch, so I guess there isn't yet much applications which
> use .pc file for linking clamav libraries.
>
> Similarly with openssl, we artificially ignore his .pc file, because =
we
> have it included in base and are using CFLAGS/LDFLAGS hackery hidden
> behind USE_OPENSSL macro.
>
> Both were pretty bad examples, man.

I guess not, since they exemplary show how libraries can be useful=20
without
a run time dependency in pkgconfig. IMHO it should be no problem to=20
install
the .pc file in the base and add libdata/pkgconfig to the mtree files,
especially since there are more ports that have problems with that.

OTOH you seem to selectively ignore the other samples given, which does=20=

not
seem very wise to me either. I can not understand why you have such an
emotional relation to a plainly wrong dependency.

And I may note that until know nobody provided me with a sample of an
application that won't build/run when the dependency on linxml on=20
pkgconfig
simply would be removed, possibly adding a build time dependency to the
application, where it belongs.

Why do you guys have such problems with that? Am I touching the holy=20
gnome cow
here and insulting you personally? There may be a lot of ports involved,=20=

but
the fix should be easy, and in the end people will be able to run (not=20=

build)
gnome without having pkgconfig installed.

And could please someone tell me what this `clean up' and reference=20
counting
stuff that has been mentioned is about?

-Oliver