Date:      Thu, 03 Nov 2005 10:22:15 +1100
From:      Richard Burakowski <richard.burakowski@mrburak.net>
To:        Daniel Hepper <Daniel.Hepper@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: diskless FreeBSD with grub

Daniel Hepper wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I want to boot diskless into FreeBSD-5.4 with grub.
>
><snip>
>title bsd-nfsroot
>kernel (nd)/kernel/kernel ip=dhcp root=/dev/nfs
>nfsroot=141.2.71.253:/dta/fBSD_diskless
>boot
></snip>
>
>It loads the kernel, but does not boot. My guess is that it doesn't find
>the root partition.

if you look carefully, it's telling you where it thinks the root
partition is.  if that looks right, then check your nfs server log.

you have seen the diskless booting howto on freebsd.org (among others)
and recompiled your kernel for diskless booting? IIRC the kernel goes
through a second round of querying dhcp for info.