Date:      Thu, 02 Oct 1997 12:59:35 -0400
From:      User Gp <gp@tower.my.domain>
To:        Nicolas.Souchu@prism.uvsq.fr
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ppbus problems

On Wed, Oct 01, 1997 at 10:39:45AM -0400, Greg Pavelcak wrote:

>> > Can you be more specific about "no results"?  Error messages?  System
>> > lockup?
>>
>> No error messages, it just sits doing nothing, i.e. no indication (sound or
>> lights of disk activity in the zip. I bring my prompt back with ^C.

>Then, you do not have the message "device not configured" from sd0 driver?

Nope. I waited about 15 minutes for something to show.

>Ok, is there a way for you to get the name of your parallel port chipset?
>Which release of ppbus-dist did you get? September's?

>You may try to set boot flags to 0x1 to get NIBBLE operating mode.

I have no qualms about opening the box, I just wouldn't know what to look for.
I noted ALi M5235 PAI 980
        75ccktt

because it's close to my parallel port and

	WINBOND W83877F                 WINBOND W25P022AF6
	708AC265117302      and         721AB2712575031E

because my isa io card has winbond stuff on it so I thought it might be
relevant. The board is a M-Tech R534F, if that helps

I started over. Got ppb970923.tgz, unzipped and followed installation
instructions. Recompiled my kernel with 0x1 flag. Still hangs with fdisk or
mount.
Here are parts of my latest kernel file and dmesg. I really appreciate your
attention to this problem.

Greg

ppc0 at 0x278 irq 12 flags 0x1 on isa
ppc0: Generic chipset in NIBBLE mode
plip0: <PLIP network interface> on ppbus 0
nlpt0: <generic printer> on ppbus 0
nlpt0: Interrupt-driven port
ppi0: <generic parallel i/o> on ppbus 0
vpo0: <Adaptec aic7110 scsi> on ppbus 0
scbus0 at vpo0 bus 0
sd0 at scbus0 target 6 lun 0
sd0: <IOMEGA ZIP 100 D.13> type 0 removable SCSI 2
sd0: Direct-Access
sd0: UNIT ATTENTION asc:28,0
sd0:  Not ready to ready transition, medium may have changed
862MB (196608 4592 byte sectors)

controller	scbus0
device		sd0

controller      ppbus0                       # ppbus stuff
controller      vpo0            at ppbus0
device          new_lpt0        at ppbus0
device          ppi0            at ppbus0
device          plip0           at ppbus0

controller      ppc0    at isa? port 0x278 irq 12 flags 0x1 vector ppcintr

#device		lpt0	at isa? port "IO_LPT2" tty irq 12 vector lptintr
device		lpt1	at isa? port "IO_LPT1" tty irq 7 vector lptintr