Date:      Tue, 17 Jul 2001 10:51:28 -0700
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
To:        Greg Smith <freebsd_mail@yahoo.com>
Cc:        "A. G. Nair" <agn_nair@yahoo.com>, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and OnTrack DDO

On Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 10:38:52PM -0700, Greg Smith wrote:
> Well I'm sorry I don't have the DDO answer, but I can tell you what I
> did when I had the same problem.
>
> My ThinkPad 600 BIOS also is limited to seeing about 8GB of my
> replacement 20GB hard drive.  So I put Win95 in the first 7.5GB, then
> FreeBSD after that.  As long as the root partition of FreeBSD is fully
> before cylinder 1024 (guaranteeing BIOS can do its boot things)
> everyone is happy.
>
> This solution doesn't require DDO or any other BIOS tricks.  I use the
> FreeBSD MBR.  I'm limited to 7.5GB for Windows and the rest for
> FreeBSD, but that is not too bad.

I had to replace the 500 mbyte hard drive in my Toshiba Portage T3400CT
when a baggage gorilla dropped it.  The smallest drive I could find
these days was 2GB, and the Toshiba BIOS couldn't see beyond 800 mbytes.

I used an OnTrack-like product downloaded from the Fujitsu web site.
When it starts, it gives you an option (catch it before a countdown
timer expires) to boot without it loading BIOS extensions that
otherwise replace the ROM-based disk BIOS routines.  They think the
reason you'd want to not load the extensions is if you're booting
from a floppy, but what do they know?

So, I put all four fdisk partitions to work.  The first two were
rather small, both fitting in the first 800meg.  One was the MS-DOS
"C:\" drive and the other was a FreeBSD root.  The other were an
MS-DOS "D:\" drive (accessable from DOS only with the BIOS
extensions loaded) and the other was the rest of the drive, mounted
as /usr under FreeBSD.

So, at boot time, if allowed to go normally, the BIOS extensions are
loaded (from blocks 3->63, I believe) and Windows 95 boots up
thinking it has 2 drives totalling about a gigabyte.  If I slap it
during the countdown timer, it doesn't load the extensions and the
ROM-BIOS boots FreeBSD which also thinks it has two drives totalling
about a gigabyte.

Once I figured out where all the pieces had to go and in what order,
it isn't bad at all to use.

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com         chad@larsons.org          larson1@home.com