Date:      Fri, 15 Feb 2008 11:33:34 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Anton Shterenlikht <mexas@bristol.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mailq takes 25 sec to respond

> On my ds10l alpha sendmail seem to work fine with the exception
> of very long wait time for mailq (sendmail -bp) - about 25 sec.
>
> I'm not convinced it is an alpha problem, so I post to this list.
>
> On a much slower i386 running the same version of OS and of sendmail
> it takes less than a second.
>
> # uname -srm
> FreeBSD 6.3-STABLE alpha
>
> # sendmail -d0.1
> Version 8.14.2
>  Compiled with: DNSMAP LOG MAP_REGEX MATCHGECOS MILTER MIME7TO8 MIME8TO7
>                 NAMED_BIND NETINET NETINET6 NETUNIX NEWDB NIS PIPELINING SCANF
>                 TCPWRAPPERS USERDB XDEBUG
>
> The only software difference between my i386 and my alpha I can think of
> is that on alpha I run IPF:
>
> # grep "= 25" /etc/ipf.rules
> pass out on dc0 proto tcp from any to any port = 25 flags S/SA keep state

Based on your description of the probem, you should ensure that all
block rules in ipf include logging, and see if running mailq is triggering
a timeout because it can't communicate over the network.  25 sec is
suspiciously close to 30 seconds, which is a common timeout value for
network operations.

sendmail needs to communicate on more ports than just 25, so it's
likely that you've blocked something else that it needs ... DNS perhaps?

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com