Date:      Sun, 14 Sep 1997 08:27:15 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Do *you* have problems with floppies?

As Terry Lambert wrote:

> > Any suggestions toward identifying FDC's with FIFO's? Preferably without
> > taking something apart?
>
> Augh.  Read the code!
>
> The driver already does what little chip detection is possible!

But it does it wrong.  Van Gilluwe (at least the first version) is
wrong.  The Linux driver seems more correct.  I've never fixed this
bug, since detecting the chip version is only important once we start
to support 2.88 MB floppies.  Starting to support this requires a
major overhaul of the driver, since extending the existing one simply
sucks.  (I've tried it.)

--
cheers, J"org