Date:      Mon, 6 Dec 1999 17:43:20 +0100 (CET)
From:      Nick Hibma <n_hibma@webweaving.org>
To:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org>
Cc:        sos@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATA driver as the default

Good idea.

I'm using it on two machines here. One has a (known) broken hard disk,
but I don't care whether it drops a few sectors each day. ATA is keeping
it more or less alive.

The other one is my laptop, and that one seems to be a lot faster and
the system load is down (PIIX4 chipset). Except that it always gives me
a timeout at boot. This started about 3 weeks ago I think, but as the
drive works fine for the rest, I didn't bother to check into it more
deeply.

ata-pci0: <Intel PIIX4 IDE controller> at device 1.1 on pci0
ata-pci0: Busmastering DMA supported
ata0 at 0x01f0 irq 14 on ata-pci0
ata1 at 0x0170 irq 15 on ata-pci0
ad0: <TOSHIBA MK4309MAT/G5.01 B> ATA-4 disk at ata0 as master
ad0: 4126MB (8452080 sectors), 8944 cyls, 15 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
ad0: 16 secs/int, 1 depth queue, UDMA33
acd0: <UJDA110/1.06> CDROM drive at ata1 as master
acd0: read 2416KB/s (2416KB/s), 128KB buffer, PIO
acd0: supported read types: CD-DA
acd0: Audio: play, 16 volume levels
acd0: Mechanism: ejectable tray
acd0: Medium: no/blank disc inside, unlocked
pccard: card inserted, slot 0
ata_command: timeout waiting for interrupt
Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s2a

n_hibma@webweaving.org
n_hibma@freebsd.org                                          USB project
http://www.etla.net/~n_hibma/