Date:      Sun, 6 Jun 2004 16:53:35 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Roman Kennke <roman@ontographics.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading FreeBSD to a new release

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004, Roman Kennke wrote:

> All I want is not reinstalling the system after every few releases. The
> FreeBSD team should care about an possibility to easily upgrade from at
> least one point release to another. Only my suggestion.

Have you read the Handbook chapter called "The Cutting Edge"?  It
describes the standard method of updating the system via source.  Not a
difficult process, although it can be time-consuming.  It works; one of
my servers started at 4.1, and is now running 4.10.

Problems arise when you switch branches (4.x to 5.x), and apparently
there have been difficulties in the 5.x branch.  But 5.x is not a
release version yet, so that's to be expected.