Date:      14 Jul 2002 10:09:16 -0700
From:      Steve Wingate <steve@velosystems.net>
To:        Lars Wittebrood <lars@socruel.nu>
Subject:   RE: Cannot start bind in samdbox?

On Sun, 2002-07-14 at 03:11, Lars Wittebrood wrote:
> Stacey,
>
> Do you have the directory structure right in your sandbox? I have bind
> chrooted in /chroot/bind and my command to start it there is :
>
> /chroot/bind/named -u bind -g bind -t /chroot/bind -d 1
>
> You have "-t /etc/namedb/s/" so you have to have the named binary and
> /etc/namedb/named.conf within the /etc/namedb/s directory structure.
>
> See http://www.psionic.com/papers/bindbsd.html for a HOW-TO.

You don't have to move the binary to the chroot. You have to move the
conf file, which it's telling you in your error message.

# /usr/sbin/named -u bind -g bind -t /etc/namedb/s/
can't open '/etc/namedb/named.conf'

As soon as the "-t /etc/namedb/s/" is executed, bind switches to that
directory THEN begins looking for the conf files. It has NO ACCESS to
anything outside of that directory. The way you're entering that
command, your named.conf file would have to be in
/etc/namedb/s/etc/namedb/named.conf.

I use the following /etc/rc.conf with BIND 9.x and it works fine. This
way BIND looks in it's current directory for the conf file, which would
be '/var/named'.

named_enable="YES"
named_program="/usr/local/sbin/named"
named_flags="-t /var/named -u bind -c named.conf"