Date:      Mon, 13 Mar 2000 01:13:56 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>
To:        Jason Garman <jgarman@wedgie.org>
Cc:        jkh@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: latest 4.0 snapshot breaks tcpdump

On Mon, 13 Mar 2000, Jason Garman wrote:

> I just installed the latest 4.0 snap off of ftp2.freebsd.org.  Didn't
> install the DES libraries...
>
> I get this when trying to run tcpdump on the system:
>
> unstable# tcpdump
> /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libcrypto.so.1" not found

Hmm. I think you'll find several other things are broken in the same way -
the crypto collection has effectively become mandatory thesedays. For
example, ppp and pppd both link against libcrypto as well, and I can't
think of an easy way to make the same binary work correctly with and
without libcrypto. Either we make a binary which doesn't require
libcrypto, in which case there's no way for someone to obtain the full
functionality from a binary install, or we make one which does and
people have to install the crypto collection to use it.

It's a different matter if you compile from source yourself, but with a
binary distribution you only have one possible set of binaries and can't
mix and match dependencies.

IMO (and I suggested this the other day), we should make the crypto
collection mandatory, and have sysinstall ask a question about whether to
point the libcrypt symlinks at libscrypt or libdescrypt (libdescrypt is
the only real reason people wouldn't want to install the crypto
collection).

Kris

----