Date:      Wed, 06 Oct 2004 20:41:25 +0200
From:      Rainer Duffner <rainer@ultra-secure.de>
To:        "Ryan Newman" <ryannewman47@hotmail.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: perl 5.8.5

Ryan Newman wrote:

> I just installed the 5.3 beta-7 and noticed that perl 5.8.5 was installed.
> Perl 5.8 breaks a lot of the complex applications that I need to run why
> not stay with perl 5.6 which is more stable for applications ?

PERL 5.8 was "promoted" to standard quite some time ago.

Also, the first thing I usually do after installing FreeBSD is cvsup and
install perl-5.8 ...

RT needs 5.8, and I think spamassassin is also working better with 5.8.

Is there actually anything that doesn't work with 5.8 but does work with
5.6?

cheers,
Rainer