Date:      Wed, 20 Feb 2002 13:49:14 +0100 (CET)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?m=20p?= <sumirati@yahoo.de>
To:        root@pukruppa.de
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD in school networks - interested?

> Hi!
>
> I am a teacher on a "Gesamtschule" in Wuppertal, Germany. I have
> got pupils/students between 10 and 19 years.
> Since I behaved very well on our school's Win NT/2000 network our
> Chief-Admin allowed me some spare 5 Gigs on four of our classroom
> computers for "playing around" with some UN*X.
> At the first look this is not too sensational, but it is
> a chance I would like to take to become independent of M$'s
> monopol and price policy. Our schools always lack of money and
> you have to fight for each single EURO if you whish to try
> something new. And of course everybody is used to M$ software and
> has to be convinced to learn something new.
>
> I only teach maths and physics - so I don't know too much about
> computers. Thus I would like to find some people "out there" who
> are interested in this topic. Students, too, of course would be
> welcome.
> Perhaps - in a year or so - we could found a FreeBSD-schools
> project.
>
> So, if you have got any ideas, I would be happy to hear from you.
>

> Regards,
>
> Uli.

Hi,

there is a similar project underway on sourceforge. The goal is a GPL'ed Darwin
distribution for scientific (biologists, chemicans, physics, mathematicans)
students/researchers to install out of the box (if I understood it right...).

Take a look at:
http://gnu-darwin.sourceforge.net/

For fruther questions you can contact me off list because I'm interested :)
I started building the networks for administration and pupil with Novell
Netware 3.12 and Windows NT some years ago at my school as a pupil.
Now they switched recently to Linux ... have to change that :)

Hope that helps

Marc