Date:      Mon, 15 Dec 1997 00:43:33 -0500 (EST)
From:      jtroy@goof.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   KDE port problems

	Has anyone installed the KDE port from the -current ports collection?
I just did the other day and am having some problems getting it to work.
	I am running 2.2.2 RELEASE and installed all of the portions of the
KDE using the ports (not the packages).  I was a little confused about what
I had to do to acutually run the window manager so, this is what I ended up
doing:
	I found /usr/local/bin/kdm.  I assumed this was some sort of display
manager (analagous to xdm) so I shut down XDM and started KDM.  When I start
KDM I see the Accelerated X's giant X appear on my screen as I normall do when
my X server is started.  However, nothing happens after that....I don't get
any sort of log in screen.  The X just stays on the screen and I have to kill
the server manually to get rid of it.
	Now, I don't know if I am even following the right procedure to use
KDE by starting kdm, and I also don't know if there is anything else I need
to do to get it to work, but I would appreciate any help/advice from anyone
who has played with this port.  Thanks to you in advance,

-Jesse Troy
jtroy@vt.edu
http://www.helium.goof.com/~jtroy