Date:      Wed, 7 Nov 2007 09:56:05 -0500
From:      William Bulley <web@umich.edu>
To:        ruin evil <ruinevil@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Seeking DVD to Real Media conversion solution...

According to ruin evil <ruinevil@gmail.com>:

> Real Producer Natively supports Uncompressed AVI, uncompressed MOV,
> uncompressed WAV, which will be your only choices on Linux/FreeBSD. On
> Windows and Mac, it can also support whatever DirectShow and Quicktime
> can play, respectively. I have also read that Real Producer BASIC has
> a 2GB input file limit.
>
> It supports inputs in these colors.
> - 	YUY2, YV12, YVU9, YVYU, CYUV, IYUV, UYNV, UYVY, V422, YUNV
>
> In further reading, ffmpeg maybe able to output to rm.
>
> >From file format list.
>
> DE rm              rm format

Thanks.  My 20 minute DVD results in a 1.1 GB *.VOB file so I trust
that this may not be a concern here.

Are you suggesting that "colors" === "codecs"?   I saw the above
list of "colors" in the documentation, but I did not equate that
with the FOURCC codec names that I have been trying.  Should I
use one of those *Y* "colors" as the video codec in this case?

And, yes, I saw the "rm format" item in the "File formats" output of:

  % ffmpeg -formats

When I tried using it, I got similar failure results as those I
indicated yesterday.  In particular, the audio codec was "faad"
and the demuxer was "real", but there was NO video codec (or video
content) in the resulting *.RM file.  Please understand that I am
confused, and being a bit new to the world of multimedia, somewhat
clueless.  :-)

Regards,

web...

--