Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2000 23:22:58 +0300
From:      Vlad Skvortsov <vlad@high.net.ru>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   disklabel for virgin disk

	Hello !

	I have touched the following problem for several times already and
	always found work-around; what I want to know is how it is supposed
	to be done without tricks and hacks. ;-)

	Let's assume I have just installed new hard disk drive into my
	system,  fdisk'ed it. Now I have to split it to slices and install
	new boot record to one because I want to boot from this new drive in
	future. Of course, there is no disklabel there yet, so I must write
	one prior to defining slices. disklabel -w does it but it requires
	disk type to be specified. As there is no entry matching my drive in
	/etc/disktab, I provide 'auto' value instead of disk type.

	But this always (I've done the whole procedure for 3 or 4 times
	since I started using FreeBSD) fails with this output:

	disklabel: ioctl DIOCGDINFO: Invalid argument
	disklabel: auto: unknown disk type

	So. The workaround I use is just

	dd if=/dev/old_disk of=/dev/new_disk count=128

	After this I fix the new copy of disklabel to match new drive and go
	on.

	What do I do wrong and how does the world do this ? ;-)

	Thank you.

--
Vlad Skvortsov, vss@ulstu.ru, vlad@high.net.ru