Date:      Thu, 22 Jun 2000 11:03:07 -0400
From:      "Cheung, Jacky" <jcheung@eventzero.com>
To:        "'questions@FreeBSD.org'" <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   DHCP problem

------_=_NextPart_001_01BFDC5A.FCF51230

Hi there,

	My house's recently equipped with cable modem connection.  I was
trying to setup a LAN
for my computers at home.  I am using a freebsd box as gateway and I have it
hooked up directly to
the cable modem and a second ethernet card connected to a hub.  I ran into a
problem of unable to
scan the DHCP sever during the installation, so for now, I am using a static
ip that I obtained from
one of the computer that I used to hook up to the cable modem.  It works for
now, but I know that
static ip is BAD when DHCP exists.  Please let me know what I can do. Thanks
a million.

Sincerely,

Jacky Cheung

------_=_NextPart_001_01BFDC5A.FCF51230

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2650.12">
<TITLE>DHCP problem</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Hi there,</FONT>
</P>

<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2 =
FACE=3D"Arial">My house's recently equipped with cable modem =
connection.&nbsp; I was trying to setup a LAN</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">for my computers at home.&nbsp; I am =
using a freebsd box as gateway and I have it hooked up directly =
to</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">the cable modem and a second ethernet =
card connected to a hub.&nbsp; I ran into a problem of unable to</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">scan the DHCP sever during the =
installation, so for now, I am using a static ip that I obtained =
from</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">one of the computer that I used to =
hook up to the cable modem.&nbsp; It works for now, but I know =
that</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">static ip is BAD when DHCP =
exists.&nbsp; Please let me know what I can do. Thanks a =
million.</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Sincerely,</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Jacky Cheung</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------_=_NextPart_001_01BFDC5A.FCF51230--