Date:      Thu, 29 Mar 2007 20:10:06 -0500
From:      Jonathan Horne <freebsd@dfwlp.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   as i progress with jails...

to test the behavior of both buildworld and updating ports with portupgrade, i started my project over, and rebuilt my jail host as FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE.  within this, i configured 2 jails, and installed various ports that i run on other production systems (actually, i installed from a ports tree that i cvsup'd with date 2007.01.01.01.01.01, so that i could legitimately test upgrading to todays copy).  today, i cvsup'd the sources on the host to 6.2-RELEASE-p3, and built world.  i installed world, and rebooted, but did not update either of the jails, just to see what would happen with the host running p3, and the jails running RELEASE.  to my surprise, both jails were running p3 when the host came back up.

so what am i missing about jail theory here?  how did that kernel get into my jails if i did not install it?  what about the rest of userland?  at what version should i expect that to be at, at this point?

thanks,
jonathan