Date:      Tue, 12 May 1998 23:27:51 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Forrest W. Christian" <forrestc@iMach.com>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG, brian@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPP hard lock in 2.2.6

Some more information....

After spewing the very long debug line into the ppp config ppp locks even
more reliably.   It seems to always lock at the following point:

   Chat: Sending: ATE1Q0
   Chat: Expecting: OK
   Chat: Wait for (5): OK

If I run ppp inside of ktrace, I get one more line, usually:

   Connect:

The unusual thing is that previously it would lock at somewhat random
points - sometimes it would connect and then die, sometimes it would die
before I could type DIAL.

For everyone's information, here's what I have here:

	Pentium 133
	32MB SDRAM
	TX Chipset Motherboard (epox)
	PCI Ethernet Card (NE2000 clone)
	PCI Trident Video Card
	Internal USR 56K Sporster on /dev/cuaa1
	Built in com1 on /dev/cuaa0
	Built in com2 disabled
	2G WD Hard drive (IDE)
	And probably something else which is really important to mention.

Things I've tried:

	Latest PPP from -current crashes
	Generic 2.2.6 kernel crashes

This is basically an out-of-the-box setup.

When it crashes it hard locks the machine.  No alt-keys, no lock light
toggling, no pings to the ethernet card, etc. etc.   Basically a hard
reset or power cycle is required to bring the machine back to life.

- Forrest W. Christian (forrestc@imach.com)