Date:      Sun, 16 Jun 2002 13:24:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Gordon Tetlow <gordon@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>, Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.org>, Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   4.x compatibilty.. Was: MFC of rcNG?

On Sun, 16 Jun 2002, Gordon Tetlow wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Jun 2002, Doug Barton wrote:
>
> > [Moved to -arch, since the cvs-* lists have suffered enough recently.]
> >

> The only MFC candidate I'd like to see is /etc/rc.subr. This would allow
> the ports collection to use the facilities provided by rcng while not
> making everything dependent on whether you are using CURRENT or STABLE.

The reason for having 4.x branch is for 'backwards compaitible' changes
to be made available to users of 4.x FreeBSD.

The only features fo rcNG that can be MFC'd are those that are pure
additions. For example I know companies that have changes that
rely very heavily on the current rc layout. These are national and
international banks so please do NOT break this if you want to be
able to get jobs at these places as FreeBSD admins, or even use
them as FreeBSD references, because the reason
they use BSD is stability. If we start pissing them off
they might as well go elsewhere. As of this writing, They are
(some have) transitioning from 4.1.1+SAs to 4.4p13. they will continue
to sit on 4.4pxx until about June to October 2003 when they will
transition to 4.8 (at least this is the plan they have indicated at this
time (they don't like upgrading more than once every two years because
they need to do a complete system retest before thay will accept a new
release from us)). Some were so happy with 4.1.1 that they have hung back
there longer than anticipated.. The plan I am suggesting to them at the
moment is to migrate to 5.4 or later in about 2005.

By then hopefully the need for the SNA cards we have in them at the moment
with proprietary drivers (binary only) will have subsided so we won't need
to get those drivers rewritten for us...
(So binary compatibility from 4.1.1 to 4.8 is a big deal for us for
drivers.. including mbuf layout,, ISA interface, ifnet layout etc.)