Date:      Fri, 30 Oct 1998 13:35:11 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Sean Kelly <kelly@plutotech.com>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>, doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RFC: Handbook reorganisation

> Commenting on the new organization would be easier if we were to make a
> statement about what the intended goal and audience is: should the
> handbook be targeted to the lowest, most computer-unaware user possible,
> or is some familiarity with Unix assumed (for example)?  This should be

I think the only real answer to this question is: Yes. :-)

The usual compromise approach is to make each chapter or section
follow the same basic flow pattern: You start with simple, 3-4 letter
words for the beginning and focus on "how to" style information and
then gradually get more technical until you're covering hacker-level
information at the end, capped by a further reading section that
really goes off into the deep end if one exists.  That way the novice
users can just read as far as they need to and stop (which their
limited attention spam more or less guarantees anyway ;) whereas
the pros can skim the beginning and only start reading seriously
at the point where the information density seems high enough.

- Jordan