Date:      Tue, 12 Oct 1999 14:06:15 -0700
From:      "Sameer R. Manek" <manek@quadrunner.com>
To:        "Michael Lucas" <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
Cc:        <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: 3.5-stable ?

<SNIP>

3.0 had many problems but they've been ironed out for the most part
there are some issues with nfs, though I have yet to see them.

I'd say 3.3 is stable, setup a test machine, simulate the load
enviornment that your current 2.2.x machines encounter. See if
it passes your expectations.

If it doesn't, post to this mailing list, report what problems you
discovered. There are many talented people on this list that
can advise you of what you did wrong, or fix the problem itself.

I don't think that you should rely on some sort of paper to tell
you if something is stable or not. The lack of support for 2.2.x now
should be indicitive that most of the developers think that 3.x is
stable enough to stop supporting the older product.

Many companies have claimed their products to be stable/secure, and
I'm sure we can all name a few that a reputation for otherwise.
I think a better way to determine stability is to join a mailing list
such as this one, see what other users around the world have to
say, then you get real world data, from admins, users, from all
over the world.

Sameer