Date:      Sun, 10 Apr 2016 16:58:58 -0700
From:      Mehmet Erol Sanliturk <m.e.sanliturk@gmail.com>
To:        "William A. Mahaffey III" <wam@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        "FreeBSD ports list !!!!" <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 'porting' AMD compiler suite

On Sun, Apr 10, 2016 at 4:10 PM, William A. Mahaffey III <wam@hiwaay.net>
wrote:

> On 04/10/16 18:09, Peter Jeremy wrote:
>
>> On 2016-Apr-10 17:09:04 -0453, "William A. Mahaffey III" <wam@hiwaay.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> configure process completed OK, but created a Makefile w/ what seems to
>>> be a bunch of linuxisms in conditionals to allow compilation for
>>> different architectures, see attached orig-Makefile.
>>>
>> Have you tried using gmake, rather than the base make?
>>

> Hmmmm .... No, I didn't :-/ .... Did I mention pilot error ? I thought the
> system make was a version of gmake, but apparently not, right ? Thanks,
> I'll try that & see how it goes ....
>
> --
>
>         William A. Mahaffey III

>         "The M1 Garand is without doubt the finest implement of war
>          ever devised by man."
>                            -- Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

FreeBSD make and GNU make are different species ( means not compatible ) .

If you compare building of GCC in FreeBSD and Linux , you may model
building of Open64 in FreeBSD with respect to building in Linux .

If I were you , I would not work on Open64 because GCC is much better than
Open64 with respect to my opinion . In Linux , I have checked Open64 for
using it , but I have abandoned that idea , because at least it does not
have 128 bit floating point numbers ( if it is not included yet ) .

It may be said that it is abandoned :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open64
http://developer.amd.com/tools-and-sdks/cpu-development/x86-open64-compiler-suite/

https://sourceforge.net/projects/open64/