Date:      Mon, 8 Jan 2001 09:49:23 +0000
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Udo Erdelhoff <ue@nathan.ruhr.de>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strange <!-- <br> --> sequences

On Sat, Jan 06, 2001 at 09:15:12PM +0100, Udo Erdelhoff wrote:
> I've noticed several strange SGML comments within the sourcecode,
> see $subject. What's the purpose of these things? They look like HTML
> leftovers (in an SGML document???) and I cannot find any effect caused
> by them. Removing them doesn't change the HTML output.
>
> What's the stroy behind them?

The old LinuxDoc format let you explicitly specify where you wanted
breaks to occur (I think DocBook has elements for this as well).  If any
remain in comments it's probably as a reminder that a break was
intended, and the person converting from LinuxDoc to DocBook should
check the formatted output, to ensure that the break does occur (and
tweak the stylesheets as necessary if it doesn't).