Date:      04 Feb 2003 22:01:06 -0900
From:      Jon Reynolds <jonr@destar.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   samba serving mac and windows

We have a FreeBSD4.7 box setup as a fileserver using samba, this works
great for our windows users but not so good with our mac users. The
problem is this:

A windows user can take a document off of the fileserver and edit that
file and save it back to the fileserver, no problem.

A Mac user can connect to the fileserver and edit the same document but
when trying to save back to the fileserver they are asked to rename the
file because one by that name already exists.

I think it is a permissions problem but am not quite sure how to fix it.
Has anyone setup a samba server that serves both windows and Macs? We
have only two users on the fileserver 'Users' and 'ExecUsers' execusers
can access both users and execusers files and users can only access
users.

Any help would be appreciated,

Jon