Date:      Fri, 07 Sep 2007 01:16:51 -0700
From:      Predrag Punosevac <punosevac@math.arizona.edu>
To:        "G. Yager" <deborahyager@charter.net>,  questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 6.2 Installation Problems

You have to select them individually that is way you are getting output
you saw.

That is not the way "properly" install FreeBSD.

Do the installation  by selecting  just a base system with the source
but WITHOUT X.

Decline port tree and any packages except cvsup-without gui

Then cvsup system and rebuild the word using the stable branch of 6.2 or
whatever you want to run 7.0 current.

Then portsnap port tree.

Only then you should start installing packages using ports to compile
them not binaries.

The first one to be install should be XOrg 7.2 then window manager of a
Desktop environment of your choice and then you need
to configure everything. It will take you at least couple hours to do
all of above and see any GUI let alone KDE or Gnome. For that it will
take you probably two days depends on the speed of the internet and you
hardware.

If previous advices sounds too complicated or even idiotic maybe you
should play with PC-BSD for a week or so to get some basic ideas about
philosophy of FreeBSD before you  get the real  thing. Reading the
Handbook would help too and is not just recommended but mandatory!

PC-BSD has a graphical installer. You answer 6 questions and within 10
minutes you will have KDE GUI with Beryl as a default window
manager and most  common  applications  that you would expect  on  the
Desktop.  And you  even do  not need to do any  configuration
it is done for you.