Date:      Thu, 26 Jul 2007 09:09:21 +0300
From:      Artyom Viklenko <artem@aws-net.org.ua>
To:        Mihai Tanasescu <mihai@duras.ro>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MPD and fragmentation

Mihai Tanasescu wrote:
> Hello,
>

> With help from another FreeBSD user on this list I was able to set up an
> MPD pptp server to allow windows machines to connect to it.
>
> Unfortunately now I've stumbled upon some strange behaviors.
>
> First of all I'm getting icmp losses even if I use a test LAN to make a
> tunnel to the local FBSD machine, but these don't seem to affect my
> transfer rate when trying to get a large file via HTTP from the same
> machine.
>
> What bothers me most is that some sites (like msn.com, microsoft.com,
> etc) don't seem to be loading.
> What I first thought about was the mss problem and so I discovered the
> following:
>
> 22:54:36.633254 IP (tos 0x0, ttl  64, id 14254, offset 0, flags [DF],
> proto: ICMP (1), length: 56) FBSD-IP > 207.68.183.32: ICMP FBSD-IP
> unreachable - need to frag (mtu 1336), length 36
>
> In my config file I have:
> set iface mtu 1500
> set link mtu 1440
> set iface enable tcpmssfix
>
> My full config is posted here:
> http://pastebin.com/m66a3c05f
> My system:
> FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE-p17
> MPD 4.1
>
> I played a bit with the above mentioned values with no luck unfortunately.
> I'm still wondering (don't know if I'm right) if a too large packet
> comes from 207.68.183.32 why doesn't it get fragmented upon being sent
> via ng0 -> pptp1 and instead of this happening my machine sends an ICMP
> unreachable back.
> Also I have pf running on that machine with a NAT rule for traffic not
> destined to the local network (but after several experiments with that
> nothing changed in regard to the problem I have).
>
> I'm banging my head against the wall as I don't know what else to try
> anymore.
>
> Can someone help me out ?

If you use PF, try to add rule

scrub in all fragment rassemble no-df

And VERY carefully check your ruleset. May be you block icmp in some place
and PMTU doesn't work.

As as last resort you can add
  max-mss <some-size> to scrub rule. <some-size> may be some value in
range of 1300-1460.

Sometimes it helps.

--
            Sincerely yours,