Date:      Tue, 21 Aug 2001 23:34:54 -0700
From:      Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
Cc:        Murray Stokely <murray.stokely@windriver.com>, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 2 chapters in bad need of an overhaul

--oP9at/Ymg5VWhwKB

On Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 10:46:48PM -0700, Dima Dorfman wrote:
> I was under the impression that we didn't want to write about things
> that people couldn't get in anything that we would consider `release
> quality'.  (The new md(4) (and mdconfig(8)) will (should) not be MFC'd
> to RELENG_4 because they're incompatible with what's already there.)
> If this isn't the case, I'll gladly write up something about the new
> md(4) features; I was planning to do that when 5.0 hit -RELEASE,
> anyway.

  We reference many things about 5.x already (a couple of notes on
devfs, some stuff in the l10n chapter, etc.).  For the printed edition,
that I'm obviously biased towards enhancing, we most definitely want to
cover 5.x as best as possible.  I don't think there is any harm in
covering 5.x features in the online copy of the Handbook either.  If
you disagree, then we can always conditionally exclude your mdconfig
additions behind a parameter entity like %not.published;

> Greg Lehey (vinum maintainer) is a competent writer.  Perhaps somebody
> can try to get him to write something about it?

  I emailed him a few weeks ago and he pointed me to some excellent
docs he's already written on the subject.  I should follow up to see
if he'll donate any to the doc project (ie, give up the copyright).

   - Murray

--oP9at/Ymg5VWhwKB

--oP9at/Ymg5VWhwKB--